Thursday, May 3, 2012

What Happened To Civility?


Was it always like this?  I'm talking about politics.  I have very strong opinions.   But, I don't go about talking about them all that much.  Because I am in business for myself, I feel a little less free to share my opinions.  I wouldn't want to lose business over my views on the issues.  But, I'm not the least bit secretive about it either.  I grew up with parents who always voted the Democratic ticket.  And, I did the same for many years.  At some point, my husband and I both felt that our views didn't match the views of the folks that we were voting for.  So, we started opening ourselves to others.  The enemy!  I would say that at this time I am an independent conservative.  I have attended many Tea Party Rallies and I feel that the Tea Party Movement is filled with people that I most agree with.  Wow.  There is so very much that I want to say here.  I'll save that for another day.
Last night I attended a local candidates night for the position of Supervisor.  I have learned that the local government is so much more important than I ever realized.  The supervisor has huge responsibility and can vote for things that will directly affect my life.  So, this candidates night was important to me.  I didn't know anything about anyone who was running.  It became clear to me early on that I had a favorite.  They invited us to ask questions by writing them down on a card and I was eagerly waiting for them to read my question.  The guy that I was leaning toward answered my question in a way that was satisfactory to me.  The next guy made fun of my question.  He laughed and made my question in to a joke.  I was furious.  He made it seem as though my concerns were invalid and so far "out there" as to be "crazy".  Which means that he was insinuating that I am crazy.
Being the crazy person that I am, I visited this person's campaign website and found a wealth of evidence that supports the very issue I was asking about.  Turns out HE is crazy.  Crazy like a fox.  He knew just what I was asking about.  He is a supporter of it.  I guess he would rather keep it as a secret and was not too happy that I brought it up.
I'm going again tonight.  I'm asking again tonight.  Will he laugh at me again?
What happened to civility?  I believe that we can disagree.  I don't agree with him.  In fact, I am convinced at this point that he is an evil man bent on taking away the freedoms that define our country.  But, I don't intend to ridicule him or belittle him at the meeting.  I would much rather have a discussion where all voices are heard.  I support his right to his opinion.  But, he would seek to silence mine.
I have avoided politics at Lulu's Cottage.  This is weighing heavily on my mind.  I would urge everyone to return to civility.  Let everyone speak and let the chips fall where they may.  Why would anyone want to win anything by denigrating the opposition?  Win because you have the better idea and because you inspire people.  Not by being a bully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Let's stay in touch, follow my blog or twitter and I will follow you!