Saturday, August 1, 2009

Top to Jacket....refashion

Sometimes, I know just what I want and either can't find it, or when I do find it...it's just way too expensive. This happened last Saturday. We were playing with the band at a country club and we were supposed to wear black. I wanted a snazzy jacket to wear over my dress. But, I didn't want anything heavy or hot. Well, "hot", but in a fashion sense..he he. I also was hoping for beads.

I went to the thrift store and bought a stretchy and very soft (I LOVE soft clothes!) top. It was only a few dollars, so if my project was a bust...I wouldn't care. I also picked up some beads at Walmart.



My next step was to lay out all of the things that I thought "might" work in the project.

I tried imagining how they would look together. I decided on the beads with the crazy threads, second one up from the bottom. What would you have chosen?


Now it's time to find the middle.


And cut it open.


I tried it on and found the length that I wanted and marked that.


The sleeves were a little tight. First I removed the hem. That loosened them up a little. Then I stretched the fabric as I attached the trim. After that, they weren't tight at all.


Next, I turned under both sides of the front and sewed that down. Then, I took the rest of the trim and attached it to the hem.


I had this frog in my "stash", and I thought it was perfect!


I love the result. I wore it happily AND it was pretty chilly in the club, so I actually needed it after all! I wish I had a picture of me wearing it with my dress. Oh well, next time.


.

7 comments:

  1. That my friend is perfect, I can't believe the before and the after. You deserve a huge pat on the back!!! I played the game, you can find it on my blog if you like. I hope I did it right, it was fun and I thankyou so much for thinking of me. Take care and visit soon, Char

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! That is one of the trims I sell, too. Will have to see what I can do with it myself.

    Do share a pic the next time you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out so cute! You are so creative!
    I live in cardigans. I've often thought of remaking some thrifted v-neck sweaters into a cardi.
    Thanks for the inspiration :)
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I haven't tried sewing on beaded trims to anything yet, so this is a real inspiration. Thanks for all of the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great transformation you did there. I had fallen behind on reading blogs. Today I caught up on yours and now I am wondering how you are doing these days?

    Hope all is ell with you.

    ~Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last comment was supposed to say,

    Hope all is well with you.

    Take care,

    ~Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lou, I am so impressed! I had no idea you were a crafty girl as well as a fabulous photographer. Seems we have one more thing in common. Tresa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Let's stay in touch, follow my blog or twitter and I will follow you!