Monday, February 20, 2012

I chopped off my hair and nobody noticed!


Well, yes, I am being a little dramatic.  But, I did have a lot of my hair cut off.  And, nobody (hubby) noticed.
The longer it's gotten, the more attached I have become to it.  Why is that?  I decided to look up hair styling tips for women over 50.  The only people that they show on all of these articles is movie stars.  What about the rest of us? 


I just don't think that movie stars and regular women are on the same page.  We don't have hairstylists grooming us for photo shoots and making sure that every little hair is in place.  And, then having the resulting photo airbrushed to perfection.  What do those women have in common with the rest of us?

I have been in LOVE with fashion most of my life.  In the 80's and 90's I worked in the fashion business as an image consultant.  Remember when getting your "colors done" was the happening thing?  I did that.  Yes.  I told people their "season", what colors to wear and NOT wear.  And, I still love fashion.  Now, I'm way more relaxed.  I miss the glam and glitz of the 80's sometimes, but I enjoy the calmer styles that are current too.

That being said, I decided to give my own personal hair style tips for women over 50. 

1.  Please yourself.  You are over 50!  You don't have to conform to anyone else's idea of what you should look like.  If you are happy with the way you look, well, in my opinion "being happy" looks good on everyone!

Roux Tween Time Crayon
2. Gray hair, cover or don't cover?  If you have it and you color it, it seems to need constant maintenance.  Do it yourself or pay to have it done?  I've done it both ways and doing it myself is such a huge hassle!  I bought a box just recently and instead of using it, I broke down and went to my hairstylist.  So, here is my answer on gray hair.  For the most part I vote for coloring it.  Do it yourself or hire a pro?  I vote for the pro.  In between, I have a little crayon that covers gray temporarily.  It's easy to use and looks great.

3.  How long?  Again, it's your personal preference.  I have had pretty much every length (and color) for my hair in my life.  The last few years I have kept it long.  Sometimes I think it's my last hurrah before I get too old for long hair.  I guess I just like it(refer to rule #1) 


My best friend Connie fell in to the trap of letting her hairstylist choose her look.  I was with her one day when she had her hair appointment.  What I noticed is that each person the lady styled ended up looking the same, they all ended up with the same look that the hairstylist had for herself!  It was short and spikey.  My friend has a soft, romantic style, she loves the feminine things like pearls and lace.  This hairstyle was at odds with her as a person and I told her so (yes, I'm bossy, thank goodness she is patient and kind!).  She ended up changing stylists to someone who would listen to her and she let her hair get longer.  She says that she would not want hair as long as mine, it would be too much for her, and I agree (it's probably too much for me too!).  Here is what she has to say about her longer hair, "I have more choices of more styles.  I love my longer hair.   I feel like I have a spring in my step and I'm more vibrant.  Having longer hair makes me look and feel younger."

4. Color?   If you are going to color, what color should you choose?  I think the youngest color you can choose is something that is the closest to your natural color.  If you go for something that is drastically different than your natural, it can be harsh on your skin tone and features.  

5.  Care.  Take care of your hair.  You DO get what you pay for.  The products that you use on your hair are EVERYTHING!  If you choose the off the shelf, grocery store products, you will be missing out on some really spectacular results that quality hair products can give.  Another reason to have your hair done by a pro.  They know all the latest and greatest products.  


 
6.  Style.  Look at magazines and get fresh ideas for changing up your look.  Again, the pro hairstylist can give you new ideas.  Get together with your girlfriends and share ideas.  



Have fun with your hair.  You wear it everyday!  If you don't like your hairstyle, change it!  If you love your hairstyle....rejoice!






1 comment:

  1. Very flattering post-haircut picture. Expertly illuminated from the front and rear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Let's stay in touch, follow my blog or twitter and I will follow you!