Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I wasn't always "into" decorating. I wanted to be, but I KNEW that I completely lacked the talent for it. I'm just not one of those people who can take a few random things and artfully put them together. I envy those of you who have that knack...truly I do.

I love my house and my decorations....now. And, I love coming up with new things...now. But, it wasn't always that way. I started by collecting magazines. Well, not the whole magazine...that can be overwhelming. Every time I saw something I liked in a magazine, I tore it out and put it in a folder. As the folder got fuller and fuller, I discovered that there was a lot of similarity in what I liked. So, that is what I went with. I copied things that I saw in those pictures and what emerged was something that I feel so comfortable with. It's still a work in progress. And, now, instead of not knowing what I want...I want TOO MUCH!! Know what I mean?

Someone gave me some really important decorating advice and I follow it now. She told me to decorate for myself and not care what anyone else thought about it. So that is what I do!

Now, I am getting out my Christmas decorations. Wow. What a job! It's a task that has grown every year!! I used to put up my few little figurines on my shelves and every year, I added to the collection. Then in January, when I put them away, everything just looked so "empty".

That is when I decided to pack away my regular decorations every year when I put out Christmas. So, I first unpack all my Christmas stuff, then I wrap up all my "rest of the year" stuff and pack it away. It's a lot of work, but it is always worth it.

I've really been enjoying all the Christmas decorating pictures on the blogs that I follow and I can't wait for more! I am going to share what I have done so far. This is my dining room and a little bit of my kitchen. To see what it usually looks like and compare...click here : http://luluscottage.blogspot.com/2008/09/mmmm-cup-of-tea-my-dining-room.html





The above is something my youngest made in kindergarten. He is 21 now. I just always loved it, so I enjoy looking at it. Is that silly?




This is a bowl that I got last year and when I unpacked it was BROKEN...gasp! Darn and double darn it! I stuck it in this corner for now and I plan to glue it back together, because I just like it very much.

Happy decoration to you!! I can't wait to see all your goodies!

.

2 comments:

  1. Well, so far, everything looks very festive and pretty! LOVE the shelves! Can't wait to see the rest.
    p.s. Love the string of paper lights...it's not silly at all to be attached to special things our children make for us. I have things my children made that I still display...and I have kids in their 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Stephanie~ Your decorations look great and I love the lights your son made. What a sweet treasure. I'm up early to hopefully finish my decorating today. :) Happy Pink Saturday ( a little late ) your Angel is beautiful.
    Hugs~ J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Let's stay in touch, follow my blog or twitter and I will follow you!