Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanks and GIVING

I never really gave much thought to ALL the people who have to work on holidays. Now that our kids are grown-ups and they work on the holidays, it makes me so much more appreciative of those who have to give up days like Thanksgiving to do their jobs.
If that is YOU, I say "thank you"!

This is my own dear daughter in her flight attendant uniform, ready to help people get home for the holidays....can you tell how proud I am of her?


We have celebrated early on Thanksgiving for several years now. It's not a big deal really. We're used to it. It's easier to shop, because there are no crowds and the stores haven't run out of things yet!

But....on that day....the "real" Thanksgiving, it's always a question of 'what to do'? Sometimes we take a long drive or just hang out at the house. I might start my Christmas decorating. I will admit that it feels a little sad, knowing that everyone in the country is gathering on that same day.

This year we did something different. We volunteered at our local Town Hall to serve dinner to our neighbors. Me, hubby and MIL (Mother in Law), were all excited to "give" and "serve".

I actually BAKED! I don't really care for cooking, but I have a few recipes up my sleeve. This is one of my holiday favorites....gingerbread cookies. I baked them in the shape of Turkeys and frosted them and some even got sprinkles....maybe there will be some kids there? MIL baked pies....her specialty!



I saved a few without frosting just in case someone preferred them this way.


This is me and MIL ready to serve....hungry?


There was a lot of care and thought that went in to the whole production. The decorations were wonderful and I just loved that someone took the time and effort to make it so very special.







We were shocked to find REAL dishes....no paper plates or plastic forks here. Unless you wanted your meal delivered....this was offered also. Isn't that so neat?


This is the town hall....it's also the place where we vote.

People just sat wherever there was a place open. There were no strangers here. I was so touched by the sense of community that I am almost tearful when I think about it. There was a holiday spirit in the air and everyone was so friendly and happy. I just loved every second of it!



And, the desserts were plentiful. Anything your heart desired....and lots of it!!
MMMMmmm Yummy!


We went there to "give" and to "serve", but we ended up being the receivers. We got to share the special day with wonderful people who brightened our day.
I can hardly wait to do it again!!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Let's stay in touch, follow my blog or twitter and I will follow you!