Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My fun 4th of July

We had a last minute invitation to watch the local fireworks from a friend’s house.  She has a spectacular view and of course we said YES!  We had to attend a local community planning meeting (who schedules stuff like that on a holiday??).  When we got there it was very exciting.  Steve immediately set up his camera.  Steve’s mom came with us and we had a wonderful time.  There was a potluck (we didn’t bring anything…how embarrassing!) and we were invited to eat.  It is apparent that I have a real weakness for potlucks.  I just love food and potlucks always seem to have such yummy choices.  For dessert, I was just going to taste a little of each one and I ended up eating pretty much a whole plate of goodies. 

As it started to turn to dusk, the moon started to rise and it was HUGE!  By the time the fireworks started the full moon was an amazing backdrop.  Hubby took some really great photos and I got some cool video.  Note to self on the video…hold the phone the other way.  Argh.

Here are some of hubby’s pics:

 
 
 
 
 

I took some video:



We all agreed that it was the BEST view of the fireworks and we felt honored to get to be there!
I love the Fourth of July.  It makes me emotional to see everyone celebrating our country.  We have a rich and unique history and this day is representative of all that our Founding Fathers had to go through to make it all happen.   A while back I came across this wonderful video about the history of the Star Spangled Banner and I want to share it with you.



I had come across this video a while back and shortly after I was invited to sing the National Anthem.  I almost cried as I sang the words, thinking about those times and how hard it must have been.  I don’t think most people realize how long it took to become a free country.  Just think about this, the signing of the Declaration of Independence was 1776 and this battle where Frances Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner was 1814, that 38 years later!  A LIFETIME!  A whole life of fighting to be free.  Wow.  I can’t imagine what that was like.  We are so very lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Let's stay in touch, follow my blog or twitter and I will follow you!